Litigation Law Clerk (Hamilton Office)
At Hughes Amys LLP, you receive the resources of a large firm, with the atmosphere of a small firm. We are one of Canada's premier litigation speciality firms, with an emphasis on insurance law. We are proud to be named one of the Top 10 Insurance Defence Firms in Canada, as voted by Canadian Lawyer Magazine.
- Drafting pleadings, affidavits of documents, discovery plans, undertakings charts and various motion materials;
- Drafting correspondence, including letters to counsel, insureds, investigators, and experts;
- Arranging expert medical assessments or other expert retainers, and preparing retainer letters to experts;
- Managing document production, including obtaining productions and/or undertakings from clients and other parties; compiling and monitoring affidavits of documents; and creating and maintaining summaries of productions, including medical productions;
- Creating and maintaining various briefs, such as medical, pleadings, damages and expert briefs;
- Assisting with trial preparation;
- Reviewing files, monitoring follow up items, and performing clerking tasks necessary to advance case; and
- Other duties as may be required.
The successful candidates must:
- Have a minimum of 5 years of experience as a full time litigation law clerk, preferably with insurance defence experience in areas relating to general liability, personal injury and accident benefits claims;
- Have a law clerk designation and be a member of the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario;
- Be a self starter who is capable of working both independently and as part of a team;
- Possess excellent written and analytical skills;
- Be detail oriented, efficient, organized and able to multi-task;
- Be familiar with the Rules of Civil Procedure;
- Employ a conscientious and deadline oriented approach to their work;
- Possess a sound knowledge of MS Word.
If you are interested or know of anyone who may be interested in this opportunity, please send your resume via e-mail to the contact indicated below, referencing "Insurance Defence Law Clerk:”
Chief Operating Officer
Hughes Amys LLP
48 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M5E 1G6
We foster an inclusive and accessible environment and are committed to providing support to applicants and firm members with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Mary Lavis.